Apple Watch Sequence 8 delivers best-in-class well being options, together with an revolutionary temperature sensor that permits superior options for ladies’s well being, and Crash Detection for extreme automotive crashes
The redesigned Apple Watch SE delivers the core Apple Watch expertise at a brand new beginning worth
CUPERTINO, CALIFORNIA Apple in the present day launched Apple Watch Sequence 8 and the brand new Apple Watch SE, which deliver groundbreaking know-how and efficiency, and essential security improvements to the 2 best-selling smartwatches. Apple Watch Sequence 8 options the beloved design of Apple Watch, together with a massive, All the time-On Retina show and a robust crack-resistant entrance crystal. With all-day 18-hour battery life, Apple Watch Sequence 8 builds on best-in-class well being and security options just like the ECG app and fall detection by introducing temperature-sensing capabilities, retrospective ovulation estimates, Crash Detection, and worldwide roaming. The brand new Apple Watch SE delivers the core Apple Watch expertise, together with Exercise monitoring, excessive and low coronary heart fee notifications, and Emergency SOS, in addition to the brand new Crash Detection characteristic and a very redesigned again case that completely matches the three traditional case finishes, all at a extra reasonably priced worth of $249 (US). Each fashions are powered by watchOS 9, introducing new and extra customizable watch faces like Lunar and Metropolitan, an enhanced Exercise app, sleep phases, a first-of-its-kind AFib Historical past characteristic, and an all-new Drugs app.
Apple Watch Sequence 8 and Apple Watch SE can be found to order in the present day, with availability starting Friday, September 16.
“We hear from clients how Apple Watch helps them keep related with family members, be extra lively, and dwell more healthy lives,” mentioned Jeff Williams, Apple’s chief working officer. “Apple Watch Sequence 8 reinforces our dedication in these areas with the addition of pioneering know-how, whereas Apple Watch SE brings superior core options at a brand new beginning worth. Powered by watchOS 9, the very best smartwatches ship extra capabilities than ever earlier than.”
Wrist Temperature Sensing for Girls’s Well being
The menstrual cycle is a vital marker of well being, and lots of physicians think about it a significant signal. Apple Watch Sequence 8 options revolutionary new temperature-sensing capabilities that give girls additional insights into their well being, designed with the identical privateness protections as with all different well being information.1
Apple Watch Sequence 8 takes a singular method to temperature sensing with a two-sensor design — one sensor on the again of the watch, nearest the pores and skin, and one other just below the show — lowering bias from the surface setting.
Nighttime wrist temperature could be a good indicator of total physique temperature. The sensors in Apple Watch Sequence 8 pattern the wrist temperature throughout sleep each 5 seconds and measure modifications as small as 0.1° C. Within the Well being app, customers can see nightly shifts in baseline temperature, which may be attributable to train, jet lag, and even sickness.2
Using the brand new temperature-sensing capabilities in Apple Watch Sequence 8, customers can obtain retrospective ovulation estimates. Understanding when ovulation has occurred may be useful for household planning, and Apple Watch Sequence 8 makes it simple and handy by offering these estimates within the Well being app. Temperature sensing additionally permits improved interval predictions.
Moreover, with iOS 16 and watchOS 9, all Cycle Monitoring customers can now obtain a notification if their logged cycle historical past reveals a doable deviation, akin to irregular, rare, or extended durations, and protracted recognizing, which may be signs of underlying well being situations.
To allow Crash Detection, Apple developed a sophisticated sensor-fusion algorithm that leverages a brand new, extra highly effective gyroscope and accelerometer on Apple Watch, which now has the best dynamic vary accelerometer in any smartwatch. To create the algorithm, information was collected from these new movement sensors at skilled crash take a look at labs with frequent passenger vehicles in simulated real-world accidents, together with head-on, rear-end, side-impact, and rollovers. Along with movement information, Crash Detection makes use of the barometer, GPS, and the microphone on iPhone as inputs to detect the distinctive patterns that may point out whether or not a extreme crash has taken place.
When Apple Watch detects a extreme automotive crash, the machine will examine in with the consumer and dial emergency companies if they’re unresponsive after a 10-second countdown. Emergency responders will obtain the consumer’s machine location, which can also be shared with the consumer’s emergency contacts. When mixed, Crash Detection on Apple Watch and iPhone work seamlessly to get customers assist effectively. When a extreme automotive crash is detected, the emergency companies name interface will seem on Apple Watch, as it’s probably to be in nearer proximity to the consumer, whereas the decision is positioned by way of iPhone whether it is in vary for the very best connection.
Low Energy Mode
To maintain customers related for even longer, a brand new Low Energy Mode can prolong battery life to succeed in as much as 36 hours for Apple Watch Sequence 8 with iPhone current.3 This new mode briefly disables or limits choose sensors and options, together with the All the time-On Retina show, exercise autostart, coronary heart well being notifications, and extra.
The newest software program brings new options and enhanced experiences to the world’s main wearable working system:
- With worldwide roaming coming later this fall, customers can keep related to a mobile community whereas touring overseas. Plans may be prolonged to Apple Watch from iPhone for little or no extra charge and shall be obtainable with over 30 carriers worldwide.4
- Customers who’re recognized with AFib can activate the FDA-cleared AFib Historical past5 characteristic and entry essential data, together with an estimate of how often their coronary heart rhythm reveals indicators of AFib, offering deeper insights into their situation. Customers will obtain notifications with an estimate from the earlier week and now have entry to an in depth historical past within the Well being app on iPhone, together with life-style elements which will affect AFib, like sleep, alcohol consumption, and train. As well as, customers can obtain a PDF from the Well being app on iPhone that particulars the historical past of their AFib and life-style elements, which may simply be shared with medical doctors and care suppliers for extra knowledgeable conversations. The primary-of-its-kind AFib Historical past characteristic in watchOS 9 has acquired a variety of native clearances and approvals from well being authorities all over the world, and shall be obtainable in additional than 100 international locations and territories, together with the US, Australia,6 Canada, Europe, Hong Kong, Mexico, South Africa, the UK, and extra.
- The utterly redesigned Compass app in watchOS 9 surfaces extra in-depth data and three distinct views. The app shows a brand new hybrid view that concurrently reveals each an analog compass dial and a digital view. Turning the Digital Crown reveals a further view that features latitude, longitude, elevation, and incline, in addition to an orienteering view exhibiting Compass Waypoints and Backtrack. Backtrack makes use of GPS information to create a path exhibiting the place the consumer has been, which is beneficial in the event that they get misplaced or disoriented and need assistance retracing their steps. It might activate routinely within the background when off the grid. Compass Waypoints are a fast and handy solution to mark a location or focal point straight within the app. Tapping the Compass Waypoint icon drops a waypoint. Deciding on one offers a focused view of the path of the waypoint and an approximation of how distant it’s.
- The Exercise app in watchOS 9 contains new in-session views, akin to Segments, Splits, and Elevation, that provide extra exact exercise information. Customers may enhance their coaching with superior exercise experiences, together with Coronary heart Price Zones, Customized Exercises, Pacer, and, coming later this yr, Race Route. For triathlons or actions with any sequence of swimming, biking, or working, the brand new Multisport exercise makes use of autodetection to simply change between exercises and data transition occasions. watchOS 9 additionally brings extra information and options to assist observe how effectively customers run. New working type metrics, together with Stride Size, Floor Contact Time, and Vertical Oscillation, can all be added as metrics on Exercise Views.
- Sleep monitoring in watchOS 9 offers much more insights with the introduction of sleep phases. Apple Watch makes use of indicators from the accelerometer and coronary heart fee sensor to estimate when customers are in REM, Core, or Deep sleep. Sleep stage information may be considered straight on Apple Watch within the Sleep app, and customers can view extra detailed data within the Well being app on iPhone, together with interactive sleep phases charts, in addition to time asleep alongside coronary heart fee or respiratory fee, in sleep comparability charts.
- The brand new Drugs expertise on Apple Watch and iPhone helps customers handle and observe their medicines, nutritional vitamins, and dietary supplements, permitting them to create a medicines listing, arrange schedules and reminders, and look at data on their medicines within the Well being app.7
Apple Watch Sequence 8 Lineup
Apple Watch Sequence 8 shall be obtainable throughout a variety of case finishes, colours, and band sorts to suit quite a lot of private types. Apple Watch Sequence 8 is available in aluminum and chrome steel circumstances in two sizes, 41mm and 45mm, and is appropriate with all bands. Aluminum case colours for Apple Watch Sequence 8 embody starlight, midnight, silver, and (PRODUCT)RED, whereas the chrome steel case affords silver, graphite, and gold. With Apple Watch Studio, Apple Watch Sequence 8 may be paired with any obtainable band in the identical assortment.
Apple Watch Nike and Apple Watch Hermès additionally debut new bands and watch faces this fall. Nike has vibrant new Sport Band colours and a brand new Sport Loop with the “Simply Do It” emblem woven proper into the band. Beginning this fall, any Apple Watch consumer working watchOS 9 — even these with out a Nike mannequin — will be capable to entry all of the Nike watch faces, together with the contemporary colours coming to the Bounce face.
Apple Watch Hermès introduces two new bands: H Diagonal, which creates a sporty sample of the Hermès H with lots of of microperforations, and Gourmette Steel, which encompasses a polished chrome steel chain and noir leather-based wrapping twice across the wrist. A whimsical new Hermès watch face known as Fortunate Horse fantastically enhances the brand new bands and celebrates the equestrian roots of the home with an animated horse that sleeps when the wrist is down and comes alive when it’s raised.
Apple Watch SE
The brand new Apple Watch SE delivers superior options at a brand new low worth, and is an effective way for customers to begin their Apple Watch journey, use with Household Setup, or reward to their family members. Highly effective upgrades embody the S8 SiP superior dual-core processor, the identical processor that’s in Apple Watch Sequence 8 and Apple Watch Extremely, making it 20 p.c quicker than the earlier technology, together with Crash Detection and worldwide roaming.
Apple Watch SE maintains the identical case design, however encompasses a redesigned matching again case fabricated from a nylon composite materials, making it lighter than ever. With watchOS 9, Apple Watch SE customers can take pleasure in the advantages of the brand new Compass app along with the improved health and wellness options. Apple Watch SE is accessible in 40mm and 44mm aluminum circumstances, in midnight, starlight, and silver finishes, and is appropriate with all bands.
Apple Watch and the Surroundings
Apple Watch Sequence 8 and Apple Watch SE are designed to reduce their influence on the setting. Each fashions are made with 100% recycled aluminum within the case, 100% recycled tungsten within the Taptic Engine, and 100% recycled uncommon earth components in all magnets. In a primary for Apple Watch, each fashions characteristic 100% recycled gold — within the plating of a number of printed circuit boards on Apple Watch Sequence 8, and within the plating of the SiP on the brand new Apple Watch SE. Each fashions are freed from mercury, BFRs, PVC, and beryllium. No Apple Watch packaging makes use of outer plastic wrap, and 94 p.c or extra of the packaging is fiber primarily based, bringing Apple nearer to its purpose of utterly eradicating plastic from its packaging by 2025.
In the present day, Apple is carbon impartial for world company operations, and by 2030, plans to be 100% carbon impartial throughout all the manufacturing provide chains and all product life cycles. Because of this each Apple machine bought, from part manufacturing, meeting, transport, buyer use, charging, all through recycling and materials restoration, may have net-zero local weather influence.
Privateness is key within the design and improvement throughout all of Apple’s options. When a consumer’s iPhone is locked with a passcode, Contact ID, or Face ID, all of their well being and health information within the Well being app — apart from Medical ID — is encrypted. Any Well being information backed as much as iCloud is encrypted each in transit and on Apple servers. When utilizing iOS and watchOS with the default two-factor authentication and a passcode, Well being app information synced to iCloud is encrypted end-to-end, that means that Apple doesn’t have the important thing to decrypt the info and subsequently can not learn it.
Pricing and Availability
- Prospects in Australia, Canada, France, Germany, India, Japan, the UAE, the UK, the US, and greater than 40 different international locations and areas can order Apple Watch Sequence 8 and Apple Watch SE in the present day, with availability in shops starting Friday, September 16.
- Apple Watch Sequence 8 begins at $399 (US) and Apple Watch SE begins at $249 (US).
- Apple Watch Nike bands and Apple Watch Hermès bands shall be obtainable to order in the present day from apple.com/retailer and within the Apple Retailer app, with availability in shops starting Friday, September 16.
- watchOS 9 shall be obtainable for Apple Watch Sequence 4 and in a while Monday, September 12, and requires iPhone 8 or later and iPhone SE (2nd technology) or later working iOS 16. Not all options can be found on all gadgets and in all areas.
- Three months of Apple Health+ are included for patrons who buy Apple Watch Sequence 8, Apple Watch SE, or Apple Watch Extremely, or new purchases of Apple Watch Sequence 4 or later.
Textual content of this text
Photographs on this article
- The Cycle Monitoring app shouldn’t be used as a type of contraception. Information from the Cycle Monitoring app shouldn’t be used to diagnose a well being situation.
- The temperature-sensing characteristic isn’t a medical machine and never meant to be used in medical prognosis, therapy, or for every other medical goal.
- Throughout regular use, Apple Watch Sequence 8 can attain as much as 36 hours of battery life with iPhone current.
- Worldwide roaming is accessible on Apple Watch SE, Apple Watch Sequence 8, and Apple Watch Extremely, and all mobile fashions from Apple Watch Sequence 5 onward working watchOS 9. See apple.com/watch/mobile for extra data.
- AFib Historical past is meant to be used by individuals ages 22 years or older who’ve been recognized with atrial fibrillation.
- Coming to Australia later this fall.
- The Drugs characteristic shouldn’t be used as an alternative choice to skilled medical judgment. Further data is accessible on medicine labels, however please seek the advice of a healthcare supplier prior to creating any choices associated to non-public well being.
Apple Media Helpline